Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: Scott, Richard (Richard.Scottat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 13:19:03 PDT

    	I've stumbled across a simple Denial of Service attack for
    	FW-1, many of you may already be aware of this.  You can
    	effectively shutdown FW-1 by filling its connections table.
    	This is easily done in about 15 minutes with most port
    	scanners.
    	When FW-1's state connections table is full, it can no longer
    	accept any more connections (usually between 25,000-35,000
    	connections, depending on your system). You can increase this
    	number by increasing kernel memory for the FW-1 module and
    	hacking ../lib/table.def) However, a port scanner can build
    	that many connections in a manner of minutes.
    [snip]

    Sure this is the case if you have a rule set that has something like.  Let
    in a packet that is bound to some address range.
    If I have a rule set that is host based, allowing only a few specific IP
    address's in the DoS attack is limited?

    Increasing the size of the connections allowed in the table may only reduce
    the possibility of the attack.  Why not increase the number such that it is
    greater than what your bandwidth can handle (advocated by firewall people
    here).

    r1ccard0

    Richard Scott
    (I.S.) E-Commerce Team