Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: Jeff Roberson (jrobersonat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 17:06:37 PDT

    It seems to me that if they maintain TCP state they could set a
    significantly smaller timeout if the connection is not established. So a
    timeout of a minute should be set on the initial syn request, and the
    larger timeout should only be used after the connection is established.
    Also, if they implemented a circular buffer where connections that had
    been idle the longest were disconnected in favor of new connections their
    scalability might increase some.

    Jeff