Re: Simple DOS attack on FW-1

From: Jason R. Rhoads (jason.rhoadsat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 18:48:00 PDT

    I have written a small perl script, fwconwatch.pl to monitor the status
    of the FW-1 connection table.  When the table reaches a predefined
    limit, the script sends an alert and emails a listing of the top
    connection source addresses.  The script also monitors CPU utilization
    as I have found this to be another good indicator of abnormal activity.

    Once the script has been configured and tested, it can be added to the
    /etc/init.d/firewall1 script:

      #!/bin/sh
      # FW-1 Start
      if [ -f /etc/fw/bin/fwstart ]; then
        FWDIR=/etc/fw
        export FWDIR
        /etc/fw/bin/fwstart
        /etc/fw/bin/fwconwatch.pl&
      fi
      # FW-1 END

    fwconwatch can be found here: http://www.sabernet.net/software/

    Lance Spitzner's fwtable.pl script is used to list the top connection
    sources which can be found here:
    http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/fwtable.html

    Regards,
    Jason