Re: NT DoS on FW-1 (fwd)

From: Matt (mattat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 19:14:49 PDT

    A FireWall-1 NT denial of service was actually discovered/discussed on
    bugtraq in February using similar methodologies to those described by
    Lance Spitzner in his recent mail. This is one of the public posts,
    but there was quite a bit of discussion in private mail as well.

    To summarize: Someone was claiming that this problem was not in
    FireWall-1 NT, but NT's IP stack that was causing the crash. I was fairly
    certain this was not the case, as I had just done quite a bit of testing against NT 4.0
    SP4 at the time with nmap. I had followed up by testing FireWall-1 NT
    v4.1, and it did crash (the NT service shot up to 100% CPU usage) when
    several spoofed SYN scans were run against it's untrusted interface. The
    difference between this attack and the one Lance has described is that
    this attack appeared to work against both the trusted and untrusted
    interfaces, and can be performed over multiple hops.

    An interesting addition--I also noticed that when pinging the
    untrusted/external interface of FireWall-1 NT v4.1 with large (>32k) ping
    packets, there seemed to be incremental growth of non-paged kernel memory
    (viewable in Task Manager, on the Performance tab). I didn't have time to
    test this to see if it capped off after a certain point or not, though. If
    it is incremental, this is another denial of service that could be
    performed from a remote untrusted network.

    I would be interested to find out if either of these problems continue to
    manifest themselves in the latest versions of FireWall-1 NT and Solaris.
    If anyone has a FireWall-1 installation handy, it shouldn't take but a
    minute to test.

    ttyl

    Matt Hargett
    mailto:mattat_private