Re: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-ftpd <=2.5 / BeroFTPD / lynx / vlock

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 23:40:05 PDT

    On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

    > Let's make sure we understand this correctly:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /lib/ld-linux.so.2 "$@"
    >
    > is roughly equivalent to:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > file=$1
    > shift
    > cp $file /tmp
    > /tmp/$file "$@"
    > rm /tmp/$file

    No, it isn't equivalent. Noone said /tmp is mounted with exec option. What
    I'm trying to tell is that noexec is *NOT* a mechanism provided for
    security reasons, and it's at least stupid to use it against hackers,
    while a lot of administrators love restricting execution of custom
    programs to prevent exploits, while this is the simpliest method (don't
    even thinkin' about LD_PRELOAD and so on).

    > And, of course, no one is capable of using mmap and PROT_EXEC to do
    > their own ld-linux.so-like wrapper, especially since no one has the
    > glibc source code to start from.  ;-)

    If noone is capable of using his own programs, noone is capable of using
    his own linker.

    > It is unfortunate that people think that it is a security feature, and
    > I will say that you have found one of the more interesting and subtle
    > ways to show that it is not a security feature, but this is NOT a
    > glibc bug.

    Yep, yep, sorry, I didn't wanted to say it's a bug (and didn't said it ;),
    I say that it is the simpliest way to bypass noexec and security by
    obscurity stinks ;P

    Regards,
    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [link / marchew] [dione.ids.pl SYSADM]
    [Marchew Industries] ! [http://lcamtuf.na.export.pl] bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    [voice phone: +48 (0) 22 813 25 86] ? [cellular phone: (0) 501 4000 69]
    Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]