Re: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-ftpd <=2.5 / BeroFTPD / lynx / vlock

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 23:50:01 PDT

    On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

    > To change this behaviour in the way Michal wants would require that
    > all console-switching activity be controlled only by root.  This would
    > have a detrimental effect on security, because it would increase the
    > number of setuid applications on the system.  So this is not a kernel
    > bug, and since the behaviour Michal wants would have to be enforced in
    > the kernel and vlock is not capable of changing it, it is not a vlock
    > bug either.

    I did not agree it is not a bug, because it allows breaking security
    scheme offered by vlock. But, for sure, I agree it's not a kernel bug, and
    not a vlock bug neither... Noone owns this vulnerability, but it is a
    vulnerability, as one of security mechanisms can be bypassed somehow :)

    Michal Zalewski [lcamtufat_private] [link / marchew] [dione.ids.pl SYSADM]
    [Marchew Industries] ! [http://lcamtuf.na.export.pl] bash$ :(){ :|:&};:
    [voice phone: +48 (0) 22 813 25 86] ? [cellular phone: (0) 501 4000 69]
    Iterowac jest rzecza ludzka, wykonywac rekursywnie - boska [P. Deutsch]