Re: IE5 ActiveX security bug

From: Hakeem Shittu (hshittuat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 12:03:18 PDT

    Sami Kuhmonen wrote:

    > There is a severe bug in Internet Explorer 5's security system concerning
    > ActiveX components on web pages.
    >
    > If you go to a web page that has an evil ActiveX component (for example,
    > the component shuts down Windows) and tell IE to run the component, of
    > course it runs it. After that you know that you do not want to run that
    > component. But what happens when you go to that page later? IE5 asks
    > whether you want to run this component or not. Say no, and it still runs
    > it!

    I tested this feature on a Win98 box with the strict security setting and
    could not reproduce this. Except for the repeated requests to install/run
    the control. Particularly tested was the portion where you say 'no' and it
    still runs it. Could it be possible that you had already said a prior 'yes'
    and the control was now cached on your system?

    Additionally, it has never been a good idea to run a control without the
    appropriate digital signature.

    Fl@w

    The aim is to showcase their fl@w's
    and not to xpl0it them. - wise 'ol man with a crystal ball and a serpent
    snake