New cfingerd 1.4.0 - Configurable Finger Daemon

From: Martin Schulze (joeyat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 11:47:54 PDT

    --DKU6Jbt7q3WqK7+M

    After several years of development I'm happy to present a new version
    of the configurable finger daemon.  The original author and former
    maintainer Ken Hollis has handed over development to me as stated
    before.  So this release is authorized.

    I feel a need for this second posting because the new release also
    addresses old security reports and not just the most recent one.  This
    release fixes all security problems that have been reported to bugtraq
    before.  I've went to the archive of bugtraq and found some reports
    that weren't ever addressed officially but only locally on some
    systems.

    I've created a security web page on which I have listed these reports.
    Please find them at http://www.Infodrom.North.DE/cfingerd/security.html .

    Addressed security reports include:

     . Don't allow userlist through search.* [May 1997]
     . Don't allow userlist through search.** [May 1997]
     . Buffer overflow in username [July 1999 and before]
     . Root compromise through scripts [August 1998]
     . Possibility to regain root access [August 1999]

    Please find the new version of cfingerd at:

      ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/people/joey/cfingerd/

    A general homepage has been created at

      http://www.Infodrom.North.DE/cfingerd/

    Regards,

    	Joey