Re: [Bugs] Fw: IRC: Exploit for a Bug in ircd2.10.x (qident)

From: Andrea Cocito (blackyeat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 04:07:26 PDT

    Hi there,

    At 1:55 +0200 10-08-1999, Simon Coggins wrote:
    >I'm sure your all on the list but just incase.

    thanks for the report, no I am not on bugtraq, I rely on
    people in there contacting us to forward what's relevant ;)

    As reported I don't think this problem exists on undernet's
    codebase, since version .02 or such the reply of ident is
    strongly checked and allows a very restricted set of chars,
    dropping off (either by replacing them with _ or by forcing
    them to terminate the userid) basically any non plain ascii
    char and any char that has a special meaning to the irc
    protocol.

    Should something have slipped out of the checks.. jst report
    it to me and will be fixed on the fly, as of now I think that
    Undernet's ircu is safe from this kind of exploit.

    Regards,

    Andrea aka Nemesi
    Undernet's coders committee.

    [P.S.: Why there are on bugtraq 50 persons unable to tell their
     "vacation" message to not be sent to the posters of the mailing
     lists ? Lameness....]