Re: w00w00's efnet ircd advisory (exploit included)

From: Jonathan R. Lusky (luskyat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 21:09:21 PDT

    Shok writes:
    > [http://www.w00w00.org, comments to shokat_private]
    >
    > SUMMARY
    > efnet ircd hybrid-6 (up to beta 58) have a vulnerability that can allow
    > remote access to the irc server.  In most cases, you'll gain privileges of
    > the 'irc' user.

    The buffer mentioned in the advisory was introduced in ircd-hybrid-6b17
    and fixed in ircd-hybrid-6b75.  All EFnet servers have upgraded or patched.
    Hybrid-6 is still in semi-private beta and has not been released publicly.
    The current release version of Hybrid is ircd-hybrid-5.3p7, which is not
    vulnerable.

    The bug report address for Hybrid is ircd-hybrid@the-project.org.
    [ insert notifying-the-author speech--first we heard about someone finding
    a way to exploit this overflow was your bugtraq posting. ]

    There is also a mailing list for general discussion of Hybrid.  To subscribe
    to the Hybrid List, send email to hybrid-request@the-project.org with
    the subject "subscribe".