Possible Windows 9x Shared Printers Security Hole

From: Luis Martin-Santos (webmasterat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 08:39:27 PDT

      Hi to all the comunity!

      First of all , this is my first Post to the bugtraq , and
    wish it is not the last one. Letīs see the possible hole.

      I was running some Windows 95 OSR2.1 Machines on a local
    network when I decided to share the NEC Pinwriter printer
    in PC1. I Checked on "Allow other users to share my
    printers" and reseted to the changes took part.

    After all the process done , I tried to install the shared
    printer in the PC2 and , for my surprise , I found that the
    drivers from the Printer where DOWNLOADED from PC1 . This
    can allow a Print Server to execute Arbitrary Code on any
    machine.

     Since .DRV and .DLL are binary files with integrated
    Printer API Calls , malicious user has only to wrap the
    Print call in the DLL and insert his/her code instead of
    the original one . Note that no user restrictions are used
    on w9x , so that code could execute any kind of service or
    program . Even a Visual Basic DLL could exploit this
    vulnerability.

        Well , I have contributed with my part . Hope you all
    find either a way to install a printer remotely on W95/98
    or a way to fix this problem :))

        Bye

        webmasterat_private