Re: Mandrake 6.0 .Xauthority

From: Chmouel Boudjnah (chmouelat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 16 1999 - 16:32:46 PDT

    Elmer Joandi <elmerat_private> writes:

    > Looks like Mandrake 6.0 wont create .Xauthority

    I have already answer directly to you, why you just see the code from
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startx is completely based on the RedHat version :

    # set up default Xauth info for this machine
    mcookie=`mcookie`
    serverargs="$serverargs -auth $HOME/.Xauthority"
    xauth add $display . $mcookie
    xauth add `hostname -f`$display . $mcookie

    xinit $clientargs -- $serverargs

    > Dont know where and how RedHat does it but there it is.

    Humm :
    (test@vador)[~]-% rm -f ~/.Xauthority
    (test@vador)[~]-% startx -- :1
    xauth:  creating new authority file /home/test/.Xauthority
    [...]
    ^C
    (test@vador)[~]-% ls -l ~/.Xauthority
    -rw-------   1 test     test          116 Aug 17 01:27 /home/test/.Xauthority

    but maybe we talk about something different

    > Now just installed Mandrake and assumed it to be RH60 clone
    > and found after some time that there is just plain
    > host authentication and that is quite wide-open.
    >
    > I solved the problem with
    >
    > echo remove $DISPLAY | xauth ;
    > echo generate $DISPLAY | xauth ;
    > in  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    > which is probably incorrect in detail.

    do you launch you X server by xinit or by startx. On a mandrake the
    preferred way to launch your X server is to use startx (or boot via
    runlevel=5).

    --
    Chmouel