Re: Stupid bug in W3-msql

From: David J. Hughes (bambiat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 07:36:45 PDT

    On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, gregory duchemin wrote:

    > there is a really stupid bug in w3-msql cgi-bin developped
    > by Hughes Technology: http://www.Hughes.com.au
    > This bug is a bit old but seams to be always actual in the
    > last release of this software: mini-sql v 2.0.10.1

    This isn't a bug in our opinion, it's just the way embedded web scripting
    works. There are security related facilities included in w3-mSQL to avoid
    these problems and they are outined below.

    > It's very simple to exploit the flaw; An intruder is able to
    > look at everything on a remote web server even if the
    > directory is ".htaccess protected". (eg apache)
    >
    > the first way to do it:
    >
    > http://www.victim.org/cgi-bin/w3-msql/protected-directory/pr
    > ivate-file
    > note: in this case, the intruder 'll have to already know th
    > structure of the directory

    W3-mSQL has always supported the concept of a private document tree.  If
    you set the Force_Private option in the w3-msql section of the config file
    to True then w3-msql will not access documents directly from your web
    tree.  In that case it uses /usr/local/Hughes/www as the document root for
    anything accessed via w3-msql.  This also allows you to hide your w3-msql
    source code.

    Included in the new 2.0.11 release (shipping from our web site and mirrors
    on 20 Aug 1999) is a new configuration option called Force_Suffix.  If
    set, w3-mSQL will only process files if the filename's suffix matches the
    suffix specified in the config file.  Setting this to .msql for example
    ensures that the rest of your pages cannot be accessed via w3-mSQL.

    I hope this answers your concerns about w3-mSQL.

    Bambi
    ---
                                        ______
       /   /            /                 /           /      David J. Hughes
     /   / /  /  /  / /  / /__/ /__     /  /__/ /   /  /     Managing Director
    /   / /__/  /__/ /  / /__  ___/    /  /__  /__ /  / o    Hughes Technologies
                __/