Re: XDM Insecurity revisited

From: Martin Schulze (joeyat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 01:07:11 PDT

    Jochen Bauer wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 Eric Augustus (augustusat_private) posted a message
    > on BUGTRAQ about the fact, that the default Xaccess file allows XDMCP
    > connections from any host. As you know, this can be used to get a
    > login screen on any host and therefore get around access control
    > mechanisms like tcpwrapper and root login restriction to the console.

    I'm not sure if I have understood your considerations.  The intruder
    still needs an account on the local host, so it is as insecure as
    allowing telnet access to your host.  Or not?

    However, I agree that XDMCP should be restricted to the local LAN
    by default.

    Tcpwrappers are no major security improvement.  It's just a little
    bit restictive.  You'll still have to manually add host that you
    permit or deny access to your services.  The paranoid flag does
    not keep hackers off of your host but people who are beaten with
    dumb admins who don't care about reverse DNS.

    Regards,

    	Joey

    --
    GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                    -- The GNU Manifesto