Re: [Re: Internet Explorer 5.0 HTML Applications]

From: McKay (seanmckayat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 14:19:04 PDT

    "Posick, Steve" <steve.posickat_private> wrote:

    > Solution
    > Disable File Downloads or disassociate .HTA files from MSHTA.exe.
    Disabling
    > scripting does not stop this, we believe it is dew to the fact that the HTA
    > is already on the local system at the time of execution, thus making it
    > trusted.

    The reason for this can be found in the MSDN.  It specifically
    states that HTA's, once run from the local hard drive or executed
    from the Internet are considered completely trusted applications
    and not under an security restrictions that IE4>= is under.  In
    fact, an HTA could download an arbitrary Java application and run it.
    HTA's can be very dangerous if users aren't taught to not run an HTA from

    the web or to let it be downloaded to a local hard drive.

    McKay