Re: OCE' 9400 plotters

From: Larry W. Cashdollar (lwcashdat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 04:28:06 PDT

    > There is, however, quite a bit of documentation in the hub's manual about
    > setting a root password, and the importance of doing so.. don't know who
    > decided to use this same firmware in plotters/printers or what their
    > documentation is like, however it seems to come down to the general rule
    > of never leave a peripheral unpassworded on your network if you want to
    > avoid these sorts of problems (telnet proxy, etc..)

    My point was that by default the plotter can be used as a gateway, most people
    dont associate "security" with a plotter.  I would guess that for people who
    dont know once the plotter is functional why read the rest of the manual.

    What vendors should do is force a password to be set upon installation.

    -- Larry