Re: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-ftpd <=2.5 / BeroFTPD / lynx / vlock

From: Michael K. Johnson (johnsonmat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 09:33:57 PDT

    Michal Zalewski writes:
    >--------
    >vlock -a
    >--------
    >
    >Compromise: locally, unlocking VCs switching under certain conditions
    >
    >When 'vlock -a' is called, console switching is completely disabled using
    >ioctl() call on /dev/ttyX device. Under certain conditions, this
    >protection can be fooled. Let's imagine following situation: user X is
    >logged on tty6 - oh, abbandoned session ;) while root is playing on
    >other consoles. After some time, he/she issued 'vlock -a' and gone
    >somewhere. But, if user X is still logged on any console, and he's able to
    >login once more, remotelly, he could open /dev/tty6 (in our example, as
    >it's owned by him), then... use ioctl() (as it's not restricted to
    >superusers!!!) to enable console switching.

    This is not a bug in vlock; what's more, it's not a bug.

    To change this behaviour in the way Michal wants would require that
    all console-switching activity be controlled only by root.  This would
    have a detrimental effect on security, because it would increase the
    number of setuid applications on the system.  So this is not a kernel
    bug, and since the behaviour Michal wants would have to be enforced in
    the kernel and vlock is not capable of changing it, it is not a vlock
    bug either.

    michaelkjohnson

     Linux Application Development     http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/