Re: IE and cached passwords

From: Peter W (peterwat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 08:57:11 PDT

    On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Paul Leach (Exchange) wrote:

    > The server gets to say, in the WWW-Authenticate challenge header field, for
    > which "realm" it wants credentials (name+password). If both www.company.com
    > and www.company.com:81 send the same realm, then the same password will
    > continue to work.
    >
    > This behavior is as spec'd for HTTP Authentication, RFC 2617.

    Not the way I read the RFC's. The "realm" is supposed to apply to the
    absoluteURI minus the URI path component, which means "example.com" and
    "example.com:81" are different. Details follow.

    Section 1.2 of RFC 2617:

       The realm directive (case-insensitive) is required for all
       authentication schemes that issue a challenge. The realm value
       (case-sensitive), in combination with the canonical root URL (the
       absoluteURI for the server whose abs_path is empty; see section 5.1.2
       of [RFC 2616]) of the server being accessed, defines the protection
       space.

    Section 5.1.2 of RFC 2616 gives an example absoluteURI:

       The absoluteURI form is REQUIRED when the request is being made to a
       proxy.

    ...snip...

       An example Request-Line would be:

           GET http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TheProject.html HTTP/1.1

    ...snip... [and here the RFC clearly indicates what an abs_path is]

       The most common form of Request-URI is that used to identify a
       resource on an origin server or gateway. In this case the absolute
       path of the URI MUST be transmitted (see section 3.2.1, abs_path) as
       the Request-URI, and the network location of the URI (authority) MUST
       be transmitted in a Host header field. For example, a client wishing
       to retrieve the resource above directly from the origin server would
       create a TCP connection to port 80 of the host "www.w3.org" and send
       the lines:

           GET /pub/WWW/TheProject.html HTTP/1.1
           Host: www.w3.org

    So in the RFC 2616 example, "absoluteURI" is
    "http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TheProject.html" and abs_path is
    "/pub/WWW/TheProject.html". Applying the definition of "canonical root
    URL" from the appropriate section of the RFC you cite, we get a canonical
    root URL of "http://www.w3.org".

    Naturally, if the w3.org Web server were running on a different port, our
    "math" would look like:
    	http://www.example.org:81/pub/WWW/TheProject.html
          - 		         /pub/WWW/TheProject.html
    	http://www.example.org:81
    and the :81 would be part of the "authority" segment of the URI (as
    described in section 3.2 of RFC 2396 and section 14.23 of RFC 2616;
    discussion in section 3.2.2 of RFC 1945 [HTTP 1.0 spec] is similar).

    -Peter

    The Intel Pentium III chip: designed to deny your privacy
    Boycott Intel. http://www.privacy.org/bigbrotherinside/