IE and cached passwords

From: Justin King (JKingat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 08:58:02 PDT

    In Internet Explorer (v5/nt,v4/nt,v5/win98), when I go to a website (say,
    www.company.com), and it requests authorization (via basic authentication),
    and I enter it, I am able to browse the rest of the site without reentering
    my password on each page. This is fine. However, if I go to another website
    on the same machine, but a different port (say, www.company.com:81), my
    authentication information is still sent.

    This seem to me to be a security flaw with the browser. The potential for
    abuse doesn't really seem very high, but I do think it's there.