Re: Insecure use of file in /tmp by trn

From: Luca Berra (blucaat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 02:42:00 PDT

    On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 12:44:19AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
    > Funny how the man page does not say that this is derived from OpenBSD.
    >
    > I'll include the new man page down below to show how we have improved
    > both the program and the manual page since.  It's also good for people
    > to actually know what the flags mean.

    > SYNOPSIS
    >      mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template
    > SEE ALSO
    >      mkdtemp(3),  mkstemp(3),  mktemp(3)

    Dunno for debian, redhat includes the openbsd mktemp
    with the -d  option disabled since Linux libc5 and gnu
    libc2 don't have the mkdtemp() call.
    i dunno why, it is trivial.
    besides that glibc2.0.7 has a buggy mktemp() which returns
    a pointer to "\0" instead of NULL when it fails
    besides that glibc2.1 changed the mk(s)temp function
    so the generated filename does not anymore use the pid
    name with an unique letter :(, dinna check the source for
    the return value.
    older glibc had problems with permission of files created with
    mkstemp()

    for these reason i wrote a mktemp(1) replacement that does not
    call libc, if someone is interseted check
    http://www.comedia.it/bluca/mktemp.c

    i won't waste bandwith posting a man page (er. actually i am too lazy
    to write one)

    regards,
    Luca

    --