Re: your mail

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 01:04:49 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 01:24:07AM +0200, Anonymous wrote:
    > I've been browsing through the ftpd code and the overflow
    > is really there. But as soon as I made some tests,
    > (using CWD function), the vulnerable buffer seems
    > to be out of stack space, which turns to be impossible
    > to reach the return address.

    The problem is that the mapped path patch does something like

    	#define getcwd(buffer, length)	mapped_path_cwd(buffer)
    	#define getwd(buffer)		mapped_path_cwd(buffer)

    (Not sure about the exact function name).

    Now, when the client does a CWD, the pwd() function does

    pwd()
    {
    	char path[MAXPATHLEN + 1];

    	getcwd(path, MAXPATHLEN);
    }

    There goes your stack.

    FWIW, this is another example that making the stack non-executable
    doesn't protect you from all kinds of stack smashing. All an attacker
    needs to do is give you addresses that point into the static buffer.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax