Re: [patch] ProFTPd remote root exploit

From: Jordan Ritter (jpr5at_private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 10:57:29 PDT

    On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Nic Bellamy wrote:

    > 	tracked this problem to an sprintf() into a buffer on the stack
    > in the log_xfer() routine in src/log.c. Gotta love it. Sigh.

    What's interesting to note is that I notified the contact at ProFTPd of
    this exact overflow back during the last ftpd fiasco (there was more than
    one way to break proftpd).  Assuming that you're making this assertion
    from the absolute latest source available, I'd say it's unfortunate that
    this wasn't dealt with many months ago.

    --jordan