Re: IE5 allows executing programs

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 09:47:47 PDT

    At 04:24 PM 8/29/99 -0400, SysAdmin wrote:

    >Now watch as I modify this to destroy Regedit 32

    That's only if the user has write permissions to regedt32.  In terms of
    causing the OS to crash, NT won't let you overwrite system binaries that it
    is using at the moment.  Something else smart to do (at least under win2k)
    is to use RunAs to run your browser under a lower privileged user than normal.

    <snip really scary horror story - too bad Godzilla isn't in it>

    >Has anyone figure out if an arbitrary binary could be executed?

    George made that pretty clear.  I'll leave the details as an exercise to
    the reader.  Safest thing to do is get the patch and set your system to
    prompt you when something wants to script one of your ActiveX controls.
    The problem here isn't so much ActiveX (which is really just equivalent to
    a plug-in), but the fact that it can be scripted, and that the control
    itself is responsible for announcing whether it is safe for scripting.

    >Also, I understand outlook executes this code immediatley, is
    >it possible that this same code could cause someone's system to crash merely
    >by opening the E-Mail?

    This depends on how you have Outlook set up.  Outlook 2000 allows you to
    set your e-mail viewing zone to anything you like.  Mine is set to
    Untrusted Zone, which has nearly everything set to either off or prompt.
    BTW, even default Untrusted Zone isn't untrusted enough for me, so a review
    of what the actual settings are is probably in order.  I also like to set
    all sorts of stuff to 'prompt' so that it doesn't ignore potential attacks.
     Then I can take whatever action seems appropriate toward the site that is
    doing rude things >8-)

    Maybe it is just me, but DoS-ing end-users really seems about on par with
    beating up elementary school kids for their lunch money.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private