Re: Dynamic DNS

From: Stefan Laudat (stefanat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 01:35:59 PDT

    >    8.2. A denial of service attack can be launched by flooding an update
    >    forwarder with TCP sessions containing updates that the primary
    >    master server will ultimately refuse due to permission problems.
    >    This arises due to the requirement that an update forwarder receiving
    >    a request via TCP use a synchronous TCP session for its forwarding
    >    operation.  The connection management mechanisms of [RFC1035 4.2.2]
    >    are sufficient to prevent large scale damage from such an attack, but
    >    not to prevent some queries from going unanswered during the attack.

    Newest versions of BIND8 die when secondary DNS authorities (or any other hosts) shamelessly
    ask for zone transfers/updates in a mass amount,although there are some strongly-defined
    acl's. The result is a BIG DoS, rising the load average to Himalaya and blowing up the dns server.
    Bug reported already,with a short and concise (should I say amateurish?) bounce answer: "Hell, you can DoS
    a lot of services that way!". Just imagine DNS1.microsoft.com under heavy assault.What if the next day
    someone finds a good apache DoS and gets rejected ?
    Oh,I remembered. Spoofed IP packets are the favourites of the day, you need only to attack not to
    listen to the last whispers of a dying server. You just don't want to be logged,
    do you ? :>

    > All Dynamic DNS services that I know of are vulnerable .
    > I am not going to include code, but it is a trivial task to spoof a packet
    > (UDP or TCP) with RR data in the
    > format this RFC specifies.  In other words, anyone can manipulate RR
    > records by sending bogus data
    > because the only authentication is IP.

    Good old juggernaut should be enough for that >=-). For kiddies it's reccomended to read RFC's
    and assemble packets on their own, there are a lot of packet-assembling tools on the Net.

    --

    Stefan Laudat
    Data Networks Analyst

    !07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH