Re: IE5 allows executing programs

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 09:59:45 PDT

    Now for the detailed response...

    At 09:16 PM 8/30/99 -0400, SysAdmin wrote:

    >ANY Windows 98 file can be overwritten.

    Sure - the OS has no concept whatsoever of securing itself from the end
    user. DoSing Win98 with an attack like this is trivial.  However, it is
    still a cheap, lame attack on end-users that really doesn't gain you
    anything and gives people a bad day.  Maybe that's your idea of fun, but it
    isn't mine.  May as well send them an executable that fdisks the hard
    drive.  Probably work nearly as often, and do a lot more damage.  Put
    dancing bunnies in the .exe.  People love dancing bunnies.

    >I would like to note, for the record, that the vast majority of home users

    For the record, this hole is a serious one.  I don't downplay the
    seriousness of the issue.  I can make it do a lot more than you're thinking
    about here, and a number of the obstacles you mention can be overcome
    trivially.

    YOU CAN GET THE USER TO EXECUTE ARBITRARY CODE.  Period.  End of story.
    What you do with that code is up to you.  There is no need to delve into
    the details of just how you steal the lunch money from the end users.

    >Despite David
    >LeBlanc et al. assurance that we could just disable Active X I'm discussing
    >it because you know your poor parents are NEVER going to,

    Since this is a security list, people here care about security.  One of the
    things we do here is discuss work-arounds.  Most UNIX admins don't install
    patches either.  Most _people_ don't install patches.  I've broken into
    systems that had holes that were 10 years old.  Maybe some of the people
    will read this, and say "Damn, he's right", then go click on several
    buttons and poof - they aren't vulnerable any more.  Then if some
    sociopathic moron DOES go off and create an e-mail virus with this as the
    payload, maybe just maybe SOMEONE won't be hit by it.  I try to offer
    helpful suggestions as to how to make things BETTER, given that between the
    fact that security holes happen, end users are usually clueless, and
    sysadmins aren't much better, most networks are a mess.  The ONLY chance
    you've got against this sort of thing are automated tools to check LOTS of
    systems at once so that you know where the problems are.  I deal with a
    network that approaches 100,000 systems, so I know something about scale.

    No, most people won't go turn it off.  They'll accept the defaults,
    whatever they are.  Somewhat more of them will read about this in the news
    and go get the patch.

    >And, of course, what average user could EVER
    >recover from this sort of damage?

    They'll go get a friend who will help them reinstall, or go pay CompUSA or
    something.  They might not ever figure out what got them.  Too bad you
    can't get them to take a snapshot using their web cam and send it to you so
    that you can see the misery on their face.

    >Onto Windows NT, yes, David was correct, you can bar write access in NTFS
    >and it cannot be written to. I have not invested any interest in this but I
    >assume there is at least one critical system file (possibly security file)
    >that he would miss and might be overwritten.

    Maybe you should.  If you're not running as admin, there isn't much you can
    torch off, and certainly not the SAM file.

    >In fact the default for the
    >Administrator or one with Administrator privileges is Full Access. Of course
    >this would allow the exploit to run. The other thing to remember is that in
    >very small domains the average user is generally administrator

    This is true.  Far too many people run as admin.  Fortunately, this should
    get better in Win2k - several changes to encourage people to run as <
    admin, and make life easier if you want to change user context to go do
    something.

    >and remember
    >this exploit can be E-Mailed!!! or mass-mailed! get my drift?

    I understand that.  E-mail readers that display HTML aren't a really great
    idea in my personal opinion, and I'm not using one right now.  However, I
    would encourage people to set their mail reader to assume that e-mail is a
    hostile site, and make the settings accordingly.  Again, just a vain hope
    that maybe a few people might be more secure.  IF someone takes my
    suggestion and tweaks their settings, there are whole classes of attacks
    that will no longer get them.

    And if you do mass mail something like that, you'll cost people a LOT of
    money, and the feds will make a good effort to hunt you down and put you in
    jail.  Jail is not a fun place.

    >The other
    >thing is that the default install for NT (especially on HP's) is FAT,

    Wrong.  That could be how that manufacturer sets up _some_ of their
    machines, but it isn't default for NT install.

    >which
    >does not allow specific file security. Anyone know a dual-booter? Maybe
    >someone who doesn't even know what NTFS is? I thought so.

    Most people who don't know what NTFS is are still using it if they are
    running NT.

    >Not bad 'huh?

    Actually, it contains flaws which are trivially overcome that make it break
    under a number of conditions.  Though considering what this code does, not
    working could be thought of as a feature.

    >This exploit needs to be realized for what it is, a very
    >dangerous problem. If someone mass-mailed it to my domain I wouldn't be able
    >to deal with bouncing between three offices helping EVERY single user.

    It is extremely dangerous.  I'm not down-playing that point at all.  Go
    tweak your settings and get your fixes.  Go around to your end-users and
    tweak their settings for them.  Make a .reg file that tweaks the settings,
    and get them all to run it.  Write a script that checks for the presence of
    the patch, run it against all your end users, and make a list of the ones
    that aren't patched.  Then go patch them.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private