Re: IE 5.0 allows executing programs

From: Jens Benecke (jensat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 10:01:18 PDT

    On Sat, Aug 28, 1999 at 10:44:32AM -0400, Jesper M. Johansson wrote:

    > >Actually, the setting that goes right to the heart of this one is
    > >"Script ActiveX Controls Marked Safe For Scripting".  Default for
    > >"Internet Zone" is Enable.  It is probably safest to set it to either
    > >disable or prompt.
    > I don't know that you want it as a trusted site, but I realized yesterday
    > that Windows Update needs to be able to "Script ActiveX Controls Marked
    > Safe For Scripting." Thus, if you want to be able to use Windows Update,
    > you must set this to either enable or prompt.

    That is not true. You can also download the Update files 'manually',
    without having to tell Microsoft about your digestion problems and
    grandmothers. It's hidden somewhere in www.microsoft.com/windows/update/ or
    something, I'll dig out the URL in case anyone needs to know.

    Strangely(0), Netscape/Windows barfs out when visiting that page -
    Netscape/Linux displays it though.

    (0) NOT

    --
    _ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

    There are more than 1000 chemicals in brand coffee, of which 26 have been
    tested and examined. Of those 26, 24 caused cancer in lab rats.