Re: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: Wietse Venema (wietseat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 11:21:53 PDT

    Scenario: mail from non-existent@domain1 to non-existent@domain2,
    through SMTP servers that accept mail for non-existent addresses.

    The poster suggests that the resulting bounce message will loop.
    However, the poster fails to reveal the reasoning behind this.

    Whatever reasoning the poster used, it is invalid with any reasonable
    mail system, because it is the mail system that chooses the bounce
    message originator address; the bounce message originator address
    is not under control by the attacker.

    In other words, the suggested loop does not exist.

    	Wietse

    Technical Incursion Countermeasures: