Re: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: Daniel Dulitz (dulitzat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 08:25:41 PDT

    Technical Incursion Countermeasures writes:
    > basically find two sites whose FW is conf'd to accept all mail and forward
    > it to the real mailserver. If this mailserver bounces invalid addresses
    > then you're on your way...
    >
    > spoof a mail from an invalid address on one end to an invalid address on
    > the other. and sit back..

    Sit back and watch absolutely nothing happen, unless both mailers are
    misconfigured.  Even the venerable RFC821
    (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/std/std10.html) notes that:

    	Of course, server-SMTPs should not send notification
    	messages about problems with notification messages.

    > the first site will accept the mail (this is the fault - it should reject
    > if it is to comply with the IETF standard)

    This cannot be the fault -- otherwise any pair of SMTP servers who
    happen to send mail to each other by way of a relay (an ordinary MX
    relay) would be vulnerable to such a spoofing attack.

    Best,
    daniel dulitz