Re: Root shell vixie cron exploit

From: Valentin Nechayev (netchat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 00:51:50 PDT

    Hello Seva Gluschenko!

     Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 21:08:55, gvs wrote about "Re: Root shell vixie cron exploit":

     MZ> flags, this exploit won't bring anything shocking - simply, it's working
     MZ> example.
    >
    > man sendmail:
    > /-C
    > ...skipping...
    > 	-Cfile  Use alternate configuration file.  Sendmail refuses to run
    > 		as root if an alternate configuration file is specified.
    >
    > and it does, for sure %-).
    >
    > Just tested this on different versions of FreeBSD and had no effects
    > except Mail Delivery message:
    >
    > The following address has permanent fatal errors:
    > -C/tmp/vixie-cf gvs
    >
    > So, sendmail _really_ refuses to accept -C key when run as root

    Try to run sendmail with -C option as _root_ and you can really change
    config file when were root. -C flag only disable suid:root (causing setting
    effective uid to real uid via drop_privileges()). We really use sendmail
    with alternative configuration files in technology.

    Therefore, MZ is right...

    --
    Valentin Nechayev
    netchat_private