Re: VLAN Security

From: Tilman Schmidt (Tilman.Schmidtat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 23:50:29 PDT

    At 16:44 01.09.99 +0800, bugtraqat_private wrote:
    [implementation of 802.1q VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2900 series]
    >This has been
    >discussed with Cisco and we believe that it is an issue with the
    >802.1q specification rather than an implementation issue.

    I disagree. IMHO, the root of the matter is the following, which
    is indeed an implementation issue:

    >The trunk port, along with all the other ports, must be assigned to a
    >VLAN.

    The trunk is shared between VLANs. Assigning a trunk port to a specific
    VLAN leads to confusion between trunk frames (bearing a VLAN tag) and
    non-trunk frames (not bearing a VLAN tag).

    >  If some non-trunk ports on the switch share the same VLAN as
    >the trunk port, then it is possible to inject modified 802.1q frames
    >into these non-trunk ports, and have the frames hop to other VLANs on
    >another switch.
    [...]
    >Recommendations
    >===============
    >Try not to use VLANs as a mechanism for enforcing security policy.
    >They are great for segmenting networks, reducing broadcasts and
    >collisions and so forth, but not as a security tool.
    >
    >If you MUST use them in a security context, ensure that the trunking
    >ports have a unique native VLAN number.

    I think the second recommendation is the correct one. Logically,
    the trunking ports should *not* be in any VLAN. If Cisco forces you
    to assign it to one, create a separate "trunk" VLAN and assign the
    trunk ports to that. This does not completely elliminate the
    ambiguity, but it prevents exploiting it from a non-trunk port.
    (And if an attacker has access to your trunk you're hosed anyway.)

    --
    Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidtat_private (office)
    Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilmanat_private (private)