Re: I found this today and iam reporting it to you first!!! (fwd)

From: Alan Brown (alanat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 13:07:28 PDT

    On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Wietse Venema wrote:

    > Whatever reasoning the poster used, it is invalid with any reasonable
    > mail system, because it is the mail system that chooses the bounce
    > message originator address; the bounce message originator address
    > is not under control by the attacker.
    >
    > In other words, the suggested loop does not exist.

    I can personally vouch for most cc:mail installations being so braindead
    that they will bounce indefinitely. One such machine returned 5800
    bounce messages from a single complaint sent to postmaster@rDNS about
    relayed spam - with each additional message being 2kb larger than the
    previous one.

    Put 2 of those back-to-back and see what happens.

    AB