RE: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-

From: Tom Bosscher (Tom.Bosscher@VICKERS-SYSTEMS.COM)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 07:40:57 PDT

    unsubscribe

    -----Original Message-----
    From: BUGTRAQ(a)SECURITYFOCUS.COM [mailto:BUGTRAQ(a)SECURITYFOCUS.COM]
    Sent: Sunday, September 05, 1999 2:48 PM
    To: BUGTRAQ(a)SECURITYFOCUS.COM
    Subject: Re: [Linux] glibc 2.1.x / wu-ftpd <=2.5 / BeroFTPD / lynx /
    vlock / mc / glibc 2.0.x

    On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Norbert Warmuth wrote:
    > Michal Zalewski writes:
    > > Also, mc seems to have serious problems with directories containing
    shell
    > > commands enclosed in $(...) construction. Bad.
    > What are you talking about? Please send details to
    mc-bugsat_private

    I haven't got any response from Michal and hasn't been able to
    reproduce any problems with directories containing "$(...)" either.

    Wojtek Pilorz reminded of the bash 1.14 vulnerability when PS1 contains
    \w or \W. As MC doesn't touch PS1 blaming MC for this is more than
    far-fetched.

    Pavel Machek got the message 'Warning: Couldn't change to /tmp/$( ...
    )'
    because he triggered a MC bug which was fixed in March 1999 (release
    4.5.27).

    Last not least there was an issue with uncompressing files which was
    fixed in 4.5.38.

    The Midnight Commander bug's mentioned above are fixed in the latest
    release which doesn't contain known security vulnerabilities. You can
    get it from
         ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/mc

    Please report bugs to mc-bugsat_private, thanks.

    Kind regards,
    Norbert