Re: RH 6.0 shadow passwords and locking users bug

From: Prince Ctrl (princectrlat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 06:37:03 PDT

    I'd would like to note that the fix I posted last week was intended
    for our group only...it was a quick fix and I probably should have
    never posted it on the list. I would think that it would still fix the
    problem, as we don't have anything "special" or "modified" relative to
    the passwd package...

    I was informed that Red Hat is presently working on a PGP-signed
    modification to the passwd package...

    ===
    PrinceC
    Security Administrator/Consultant
    princectrlat_private

    ---Walter Klomp <walterat_private> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I solved this problem by downloading the source of the latest
    > shadow-password package, and just recompile and make install...
    >
    > It's indeed an error in the .rpm of RedHat 6.0...
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Regards
    > Walter

    Shuman
    > > Sent: Thursday, September 02, 1999 7:24 AM
    > > To: BUGTRAQat_private
    > > Subject: Re: RH 6.0 shadow passwords and locking users bug
    > >

    > > On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Prince Ctrl wrote:
    > > [ When administering a Red Hat 6.0 server and locking users with the
    > > [ 'passwd -l <user>' command, and then unlocking a user with the
    'passwd
    > > [ -u <user>' command, a control character is added to the end of a
    > > [ users' encrypted password in the form of a "^Q" in the shadowed
    passwd
    > > [ file.
    > >
    > > The "usermod" program, a part of shadow-utils that comes with
    RedHat 6.0