fixing all buffer overflows --- random magin numbers

From: Dr. Joel M. Hoffman (joelat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 18:37:00 PDT

    I was thinking --- it wouldn't be too hard to make buffer overflow
    attacks impossible.  The basic idea is to do away with binary
    compatibility.

    In particular, I was thinking that part of building a kernel would
    involve assigning a random number to each syscall, and creating a
    syscall.h file with these random numbers.  A binary would only run if
    it was compiled with the proper syscall.h, so all binaries would have
    to be recompiled for the new kernel, but then, syscall.h could be
    removed, and the system would be impervious to buffer overflow
    attacks.  (One step further would involve random magic numbers in
    every function call.)

    I would be happy to give up binary compatilibyt for the added security
    it would add.

    Comments?

    -Joel Hoffman
    (joelat_private)