Re: fixing all buffer overflows --- random magin numbers

From: Eric Hutchinson (sanityimpat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 15:35:39 PDT

    On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

    > In particular, I was thinking that part of building a kernel would
    > involve assigning a random number to each syscall, and creating a
    > syscall.h file with these random numbers.  A binary would only run if
    > it was compiled with the proper syscall.h, so all binaries would have
    > to be recompiled for the new kernel, but then, syscall.h could be
    > removed, and the system would be impervious to buffer overflow

    ok what happens when you need to compile soemthing else? would you then
    have to recompile the WHOLE system? and wouldnt the syscall.h essentially
    be in all the bins, which would most likely be readable, and if they core
    dumped, the sysbols would be right there.

    Im defiently not an expert but this seems like a half baked(or mayber
    fully, how many bowls did you smoke) idea. persoanlly i think the best way
    to avoid overflows is to programm the apps correctly in the first place,
    if you dont check before you insert into a buffer you probly shouldnt be
    writing apps with root/administrative privlages. THAT is how to get rid of
    all buffer overflows.