Re: Vulnerability in dtaction on Digital Unix

From: Eric Gatenby (egatenbyat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 17:06:35 PDT

    I just installed this patch and noticed a major omission in the instructions
    for the installation of the patch.

    Here are the instructions from the README:
    # cd /usr/dt/bin
    # cp /patches/dtaction dtaction.new
    # chown root:system dtaction.new
    # chmod 6555 dtaction.new
    # ln dtaction dtaction.orig
    # mv dtaction.new dtaction

    The major problem is that it leaves the dtaction.orig file (the one with the
    overflow) setuid to root. Some admins will notice it, some won't...

    Solution? chmod 0100 /usr/dt/bin/dtaction.orig

    BTW, anyone know a general security address @ compaq where I can send info
    like this? I cannot seem to find one...

    --Eric

    --
    Eric Gatenby                       |  PGP Keys: 0x0B9761F5  (1024/RSA)
    egatenbyat_private                 |            0x9EA39CC7  (3072/DSS)

                          *** NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS ***