Re: ASUS mother board security question...

From: Alan Cox (alanat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 16 1999 - 16:36:28 PDT

    > a function (if you are using an ATX power supply) to remotely turn on the
    > computer if anything is received on either the LAN or modem ports.  It seems

    Wake-On-Lan.

    > 1)	am I correct in assuming that anyone who sends a packet to you over the
    > Internet will appear on the LAN port if you have a cable modem and if so
    > will they have access to your computer?

    If it is set to wake on any packet then yes. Wake-on-lan is sometimes done
    with special packets. Its a feature really. Your box goes to sleep someone
    delivers it mail and it wakes up again.

    > I am aware that a BIOS switch will disable these features but they could be
    > useful if the machine is properly configured.

    The one to watch are the machines that allow remote shutdown via lan messages.
    They have a password scheme, but its unencrypted