Re: ASUS mother board security question...

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 22:04:27 PDT

    > The one to watch are the machines that allow remote shutdown via lan messages.
    > They have a password scheme, but its unencrypted

    Nope -- the one to watch are those implementing the "reboot from LAN
    image" option.

    I think, today, that is none, but the PC98, etc specifications make
    some hilarious reading -- hilarious, that is, if so many of the
    things suggested as likely to be required in near-future updates of
    the spec weren't so damn stupid/short-sighted.

    The afterthought (expressed in a footnote to the "reboot from LAN
    image" option) to the effect "it may be advisable to develop an
    authentication mechanism for this feature" is a classic example of
    the contempt in which security is held amongst designers at Richmond.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald