Re: QMS2060 security hole

From: Frank Bures (lisfrankat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 24 1999 - 06:48:13 PDT

    This is the final information concerning the QMS2060 security hole, that I
    published here some time ago.
    Just to refresh your memory:
    If you establish a password file in the QMS2060 networked printer, everyone
    will be required to enter password to gain an access to the printer EXCEPT
    root.  Anyone can log in as root with ANY password and consequently change or
    delete the password file altogether.

    After lengthy investigation with the QMS customer support it became apparent,
    that this it not a bug but a feature.  In order to make root password
    protected one has to buy a "security key", which is a little DB-9 plug (sort
    of a dongle), which is plugged in the matching connector at the rear of the
    printer.  One can then establish a root password.  BTW the DB-9 dongle costs
    CDN$177.10 !!!!!

    <comment>
    It boggles the mind that the manufacturer would make a root password
    protection an option.  I would have thought, that root password protection
    should be a default, with the password protection of user accounts an option.
    Needless to say that this has been the last QMS product this Department will
    ever buy.
    </comment>

    Frank Bures, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Toronto, M5S 3H6
    fburesat_private
    http://frank.chem.utoronto.ca/electronics