Re: LD_PROFILE local root exploit for solaris 2.6

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Sun Sep 26 1999 - 05:58:33 PDT

    --==_Exmh_865795608P

    On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:00:46 BST, Darren Moffat - Solaris Sustaining Engineering <darren.moffatat_private>  said:
    > I strongly recommend that people apply the latest recommended and security
    > patch sets when testing out security exploits.  That way you won't send
    > out information about exploits which have been long fixed and needlessly
    > panic people.

    Good advice, as far as it goes.  Yes, installing the latest fixes first
    before reporting a bug is a Good Idea (since the vendor will say first thing
    "Have you installed all the latest fixes?" and it's always good to patch
    OTHER problems before they hit).  But....

    Something we here on Bugtraq often lose sight of (since we as a group are
    preaching to the choir) is that perhaps sometimes panicing the people
    is needed.

    Remember - the *reason* we keep seeing old long-fixed patches is because
    there's machines out there that aren't patched.  Unfortunately, I don't
    have a better answer to how to get people to install patches other than
    panicing them.

    And of course, the people who need panicing aren't Bugtraq subscribers.
    Or maybe they are - in which case causing a panic is overall a Good Thing.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer

    --==_Exmh_865795608P

    -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBN+4YddQBOOoptg9JAQG7mAP/T6U4lizdR5eD+hmVvjI5orbEE/FpucO4
    WAR0aT0yKwWRpJ6D2pOgoh1tVaJqrY7f8LSTutY3uaaB1WRN4SZ6hacMq46HpVH5
    4anIWvqNPQvCmE8QsuyAkzp0YVXg6F0cMuxkCb7h6i9ScN6TzQiOSK5Qg0i27wW9
    o8n9oirddtU=
    =k9we
    -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

    --==_Exmh_865795608P--