Re: Linux GNOME exploit

From: Matt Wilson (mswat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 15:21:50 PDT

    On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 04:35:50PM -0500, Brock Tellier wrote:
    >     We may be missing the point here.  This isn't necessarily a nethack
    > or RH 6.0 vulnerability, it is a GNOME vulnerability and nothing more.
    > The "redhat" and "nethack" names were purely for demonstration purposes.
    > If Red Hat is concerned about losing face over an vulnerability like
    > this, perhaps they should consult those who package Mandrake as "Red Hat
    > Linux 6.0 with enhancements" and ship it with /etc/redhat-release.

    We can not take credit OR blame for those enhancements - including
    nethack - that MandrakeSoft adds to Red Hat Linux.
    /etc/redhat-release remains for compatibility, as does the RedHat link
    on the CD-ROM images.  Linux Mandrake 6.1 was released before Red Hat
    Linux 6.1 anyway, so they can't brand the next version as "Red Hat
    Linux 6.1 with enhancements."

    You said, "I tried it on (the irony) /usr/games/nethack, which is SGID
    root by default on RH6.0."  This is a false statement.  We do not
    loose face, you do by making utterly false claims.  We do not ship any
    GNOME programs with setuid/gid bits that give anything more than
    'games' group access and 'wtmp' group access (which is
    gnome-pty-helper, not a full GNOME application, therefore immune to
    your reported bug).

    So, my point: You can not use your exploit on GNOME applications as
    shipped in Red Hat Linux 6.0 to gain extra privileges beyond the
    current user privileges that allow you to do anything beyond changing
    your high score in gnomine.

    Matt
    mswat_private