Re: Linux GNOME exploit

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 00:34:37 PDT

    Also, since slackware as well <slackware 4.0> documents:

    - Large repository of contributed software compiled and ready to run. This
      includes GNOME 1.0

    The GNOME troubles were cross posted to slackware-securityat_private,
    though, this looks to be a dead list since nothing has rooled backout of
    it for two days....

    Seems prudent that the information should make it to all the distributions
    that incude GNOME and maintain a security list to pass such info on for
    admins and end users to deal with as nessecary.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Brock Tellier wrote:

    >     We may be missing the point here.  This isn't necessarily a nethack
    > or RH 6.0 vulnerability, it is a GNOME vulnerability and nothing more.
    > The "redhat" and "nethack" names were purely for demonstration purposes.
    > If Red Hat is concerned about losing face over an vulnerability like
    > this, perhaps they should consult those who package Mandrake as "Red Hat
    > Linux 6.0 with enhancements" and ship it with /etc/redhat-release.
    >
    > -Brock

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
    	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.