Historical Bugtraq Question

From: Alfred Huger (ahat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 10:40:09 PDT

    Hey Folks,

     I am doing a little research on Bugtraq, it's history and the impact it's
    had on the community. I have a question for some of the listers here who
    have been onboard for a while.

     So far as I can tell, the first publicly released X86 buffer overflow w/
    source code was the splitvt(1) exploit posted on Sun Dec 03 1995 as
    "Avalon Release".

    Pine.LNX.3.91.951203225127.524A-100000at_private">http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&date=1995-11-29&thread=Pine.LNX.3.91.951203225127.524A-100000at_private

     It's my assertion that this code launched the buffer  overflow into a
    commonly used exploit technique. In any event, I am  looking for
    information refuting the 'first out' claim. Keep in mind I am not
    referring to anything other than X86 overflows (although I do not  believe
    sparc eggs became public till after the splitvt code).

     Any input would be appreciated, I will post to the list when I have
    finished the research and compiled it into a paper for public consumption.
    Please reply directly to me.