ssh 1.2.26 x11-fwd dos (Re: MicroImages MIX X Server)

From: Dan Frasnelli (dfrasnelat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 11:23:31 PDT

    > > Basically telneting into port 6000 of the server and typing in random
    > > gibberish, brings it down.
    This method of conducting a simple dos against unprotected X servers is
    already well-known.  Most X servers for windows default to accepting all
    connections to port 6000, making more than the MI/X software vulnerable.
    Also, I do not think most pc X servers have cookies support - session
    hijacking and snooping may be possible.

    On the subject of denial of service attacks, ssh 1.2.26 has a nice one
    associated with x11 forwarding.  Data Fellows, Ltd. were informed of this
    and a second vulnerability (session confidentiality can be compromised by
    a second user on the client machine) last month but did not respond.

    Here is a quick overview:
    - if $DISPLAY is set on the client machine and the remote server allows
      X11 forwarding (default), sshd will bind to an available port above
      6000 for each subsequent ssh session.
    - On linux, the first port allocated is 6001 (:1.0); on solaris 2.6, the
      first is 6010 (:10.0).  The second ssh session w/x11 forwarding will
      bind 6002 under linux, 6011 under solaris, etc.  lsof is probably the
      best tool to use if you have access to both the server and client.
    - A simple connect() via telnet or a portscanner to the forwarded X server
      from any remote host will kill the ssh session and any forwarded
      clients.
    - Versions 1.2.27 and 2.x drop the connection and report the attempt.

    I have fully documented this and the second vulnerability mentioned above,
    but will give Data Fellows some more time to respond - the commercial
    product is vulnerable to the second attack.  If we do not hear back from
    them in a few days, the exploit documentation will be sent to this list.

    Regards,
    Dan