Re: Omni-NFS/X Enterprise (nfsd.exe) DOS

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 09:33:23 PDT

    "S.Faust" wrote:

    > Faulty software
    > ---------------
    >
    > Omni-NFS/X Enterprise version 6.1
    >
    > Product
    > ---------
    >
    > Omni-NFS/X Enterprise  is a X, NFS server solution for win32 systems.
    > It is written by XLink Technology ( http://www.xlink.com ) .
    >
    > Vulnerability
    > -------------
    >
    > The nfs daemon ( nfsd.exe ) used by Omni-NFS/X will jump to 100% cpu usage
    > if you scan it
    > using nmap with ether the -O (OS detect ) or the -sS ( TCP SYN (half open) )

    Classic URG bug. nmap uses the Urgent flag for OS fingerprinting.

    Omni-NFS/X Enterprise probably checks to see "is there something
    waiting for me in the TCP stream?" and gets the response "yes
    there is". Then it tries to read the standard stream and gets
    zero bytes. It does NOT poll the urgent (OOB) stream however.
    Then loops back to see if there's input waiting, which there
    still is.

    Blah.

    Hint to the developer, FOR EVERY SINGLE SOCKET YOU OPEN:
    - Turn on SO_OOBINLINE to receive the urgent data in the
      normal stream
    - OR do NOT set the FD_OOB flag in your WSAAsyncSelect() or
      WSAEventSelect() calls; this way you won't get notifications
      for urgent data (i'm not sure what happens to the data though).

    Regards,
    Mikael Olsson

    --
    Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
    Phone: +46-(0)660-105 50           Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50