Re: KSR[T] Advisories #012: Hybrid Network's Cable Modems

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman (larsat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 13:36:27 PDT

    >                      There is also another HSMP client located at:
    >
    >                      http://www.larsshack.org/sw/ccm/
    >
    >                      l0pht modified the above client and added
    >                      the ability to spoof the source address, allowing
    >                      for the anonymous reconfiguration of Hybrid cable
    >                      modems). Their client is located at:
    >
    >                      http://c0re.l0pht.com/~sili/ccm-spoof.tar.gz

    Howdy,

    As the author of the above program, I'd like to mention -- in case Hybrid
    tries to play innocent -- that I brought this to RCN's attention back in
    April of this year.  The RCN folks spoke to the Hybrid folks, but as far
    as I can tell nothing came of it.  I'm not sure they took the warning all
    that seriously.

    (RCN is a cable/cable modem/telephone provider out in here in MA [and
    elsewhere in the northeast].)

    After speaking with RCN about the problem, I was told that due to the
    configuration of their network, the were unable to implement a block that
    would be effective against machines on the same cable segment.  In this
    case, port blocking offers only limited security -- even with HSMP blocked
    at the organization level, it may still be possible to exploit other
    security issues and gain access to a machine on your favorite local
    segment and work from there.

    In any case, I'm glad that someone has found my code to be...err, useful.
    Be nice.

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman * larsat_private * (617)353-5228
    Department of Computer Science, Boston University