Re: KSR[T] Advisories #012: Hybrid Network's Cable Modems

From: Derek J. Balling (dreddat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 14:11:47 PDT

    Other cable ISPs, such as ones which I have worked for in the past, brought
    the problem to Hybrid's attention almost TWO YEARS ago.

    Hybrid gear is heavily insecure both in the field (their modems) and in the
    headend (their headend hardware is EXTREMELY insecure and susceptible to
    hacks, using r* commands all over the place to communicate back and forth
    among the boxen).

    There are exploit possibilities with Hybrid gear which allow you to
    reprogram your UUID in your modem to be the same as someone else's. If you
    contact the cable provider and social engineer them into deactivating and
    reactivating the UUID (a common solution employed for solving connectivity
    issues with Hybrid gear), then your modem will accept the NOS download as
    well as all of the victim's configuration settings, allowing the altered
    modem to completely impersonate the victim's modem. At that point, they
    will be completely identical.

    As I said, this was brought to their attention two years ago, give or take,
    and Hybrid claimed that such a scenario "would never happen". They made no
    effort to secure the modems, and a minimal effort to secure the boxes.
    (Attempts to convert the r* commands to at least use s* commands failed
    miserably, and Hybrid insisted that 'using r* was absolutely necessary for
    their architecture').